The Hospitality Minnesota Education Foundation annually awards scholarships to students pursuing post-secondary education for careers in the restaurant industry or in lodging management. Last year, 35 students received scholarships totaling $97,000. The application deadline has been extended to March 24 for the 2017-2018 school year.
Scholarship Applications Accepted Through March 24
Academic Scholarship for High School Seniors, GED Graduates, Undergraduate Students and Masters Students Pursuing Foodservice, Lodging or Hospitality Degrees
- Student must be a resident of Minnesota.
- Student must be pursuing a hospitality or foodservice (not food science) culinary arts degree full time (minimum nine credit hours) at an accredited post-secondary institution. This is not limited to schools in Minnesota.
- The student must be enrolled for two consecutive school terms during the 2017-2018 school year.
- The HMEF Board maintains the right to disapprove the educational institution or program in which the student is enrolled.
- Student must have a minimum 2.5 Grade Point Average (GPA) in high school or college.
- Student is required to submit an essay as outlined on the scholarship application.
- Student must submit at least two letters of recommendation from persons other than family. We suggest both academic and employment references.
- Student will need to submit high school or college transcripts.
- Preference will be given to students who are graduates of the ProStart or HTMP programs.
Scholarship Denominations, Payment & Eligibility
- The Hospitality Minnesota Education Foundation (HMEF) Board of Directors & Scholarship Committee will determine denominations of each scholarship given.
- Scholarship awards will be limited to academic tuition and paid directly to the educational institution. The institution will contact HMEF requesting funds and verify that the student has completed his/her coursework satisfactorily.
- Students may reapply for a scholarship annually if they demonstrate a minimum 2.5 GPA.
- The HMEF Board of Directors will make the determination of annual scholarships based on funds available and applicant pool.
- Relatives of the members of the HMEF Board of Directors are ineligible.
- Relatives of contributors are eligible, as are students who are also employed by contributing companies.
- Relatives of the directors or officers of the MRA, MLA and MRCA Boards will be eligible, so long as they do not serve on the HMEF Board of Directors.
- To ensure unbiased scholarship awards, a selection committee will use a standard application and scoring system based on academics, community involvement, hospitality experience, and a submitted essay.